Students must be Health to be Educated
and Educated to be Healthy!
Welcome to the Artesia High School Nurse web page! My name is Ana Ualika and I am the school nurse at Artesia High School. I have been connecting with families and communities providing support at Artesia High since 2016 to keep students healthy, safe, in school, and ready to learn. I am so happy to be a part of this fabulous Pioneer family!
"The school nurse supports student success by providing health care through assessment, intervention, and follow-up for all children within the school setting. The school nurse addresses the physical, mental, emotional, and social health needs of students and supports their achievement in the learning process." (National Association of School Nurses. (2016). The role of the 21st century school nurse (Position Statement). Silver Spring, MD: Author.)
Ana Ualika, MSN, RN,
Phone: (562) 926-5566 ext 21620FAX: (562) 809-5604
If your child is ill
If Your Child needs assistance with Medication
"The ABC Unified School District recognizes that certain students may need to take prescribed and/or over-the counter medications during the school day. The school nurse, or other persons designated by the Superintendent, shall assist such students in taking their medication. The following requirements must be met each school year and more frequently if circumstances change, before such assistance is given (Source: Ed. Code 49423)
- A written authorization from a health care provider licensed in the State of California detailing the method, amount, and time schedules for the taking of the medication. (See "Request for Assistance with Medication Form")
- A written statement from the student’s parent/guardian requesting the District to monitor and assist the student in taking the prescribed medication.
- Medication must be properly labeled from the pharmacy or manufacturer, including name of student, medication, amount, and frequency to be given." (Source: ABC USD Student and Parent/Guardian Handbook 2019-20 Page 10.)
If your child needs wellness support
The Artesia High School Wellness support team is dedicated to helping students, families and communities live healthier lives. The wellness team focuses on prevention and/or lessening of contributing factors that interfere with the overall wellness of the student.
Click on the link below to visit wellness information & resources.District Mental Health/Wellness Web Page
Flu Vaccine Key Facts
College Immunization Information
Physical Activity Information
IN A WORLD WHERE YOU CAN BE ANYTHING...BE ACTIVE!
American Heart Association Fitness Basics
Take Action Now! Help to combat the Teen Vaping Outbreak
- CDC Quick Facts on Vaping
- California Department of Public Health
- California Smokers' Helpline
- Flavors Hook Kids
- No Vapes Organization
- Tobacco Free California
Do you need HELP Quitting? Call 1-844-8-NO-VAPE or 1-844-866-8273
National Drug and Alcohol Abuse Hotline (877) 437-8422
ABC Tobacco Use Prevention Education (TUPE)